Urban Scholars Program Internships
Students in this program should pursue internships with the following characteristics:
- The organization is a nonprofit or local government agency.
- The organization works with children, families, and/or communities in the Washington DC region, and has a particular interest in urban low and moderate income populations.
- The organization is not strictly a policy or advocacy organization. It is engaged with and works with local communities.
- The organization may address issues related to the health of the community (i.e., physical, social, economic, etc.)
- The organization may deal with the broader issue of sustainability as discussed in the Brundtland Report.
Some examples of appropriate organizations are:
§ Partners for Livable Communities
§ D.C. Office of Planning
§ Rails to Trails Conservatory
§ Casey Trees
§ Washington Parks & People
§ New America Foundation
§ Justice and Sustainability Associates
§ The Community Foundation of the National Capital Region
§ Poverty & Race Research Action Council